The Sandwich Fire Department officially came into existence on March 17, 1868. Charles Gibbs and several other town residents partitioned for an article to appropriate $950 and for a fire department, based on the towns 3 school districts.
One of the first fire apparatus purchased was a hand drawn hook and ladder built for the town in 1870. The Sandwich Glass Company also purchased some fire apparatus for the town in the late 1800’s. The Town reorganized a fire department in the early 1930s. A 1930 Ahrens Fox was the department’s first custom motorized fire engine.
The first salaried Fire Chief was appointed on March 01, 1948. The Sandwich Fire Department was “officially” organized on March 6, 1950. The department’s first fire station was built in 1955. Prior to that, apparatus was housed in a garage behind the Daniel Webster Inn on Main Street. Sandwich FD protects “the oldest town on Cape Cod.”
The Sandwich Fire Department began staffing the Forestdale Fire Station (Sta.3) in July 1993 bringing improved coverage for the fast growing southern end of town.